Sunday 23 October 2022

A couple of Little Owls Banded

 We have recently banded two Little Owls, both presumed females, in nest boxes each with 3 eggs.

The first was at our Cashmere Rd site. It was in the same nest box as the birds banded last year but to my surprise it was unbanded and we had banded an adult a year ago. According to the reference books it is the female that incubates during the day so unless this bird is an exception to this rule it is a new female. If anyone knows if this is correct, could you please let me know.

The Cashmere Rd Bird.

The other bird was in a box erected by Kenny at his property in Loburn. In my opinion he had erected the box in a completely unsuitable place. I spend hours trying to work out the best place to erect boxes with very limited success and Kenny sticks one up and has almost immediate success. I think I might have to change my strategy.

Kenny and one of his sons Stanley had built the box from plans taken from the internet. The box was erected high up in a sapling eucalypt tree at a height that I wouldn't even attempt. One of the main considerations being that they wanted to be able to observe any activity from the house. Kenny in a previous life was an Arborists so had no trouble erecting the box and checking it. 

Kenny and Stanley with their Little Owl

Kenny making his way up to the box.

Kenny banding the bird


Kenny replacing the bird in the nest box

 

No comments:

Post a Comment