I have recently crunched the numbers of birds caught for the year ending 31 March. This is in order to file the annual report to the Banding office. A total 1619 captures of 16 species was made with 1177 new birds banded and 442 recaptures made.
|Fantail S I||1||0||15||2||0||15|
Species caught ranked from highest number of new bird was (with recaptures in brackets)
- House Sparrow- 385 (180) also No 1 last year.
- Silvereye - 233 (47) up one position mainly due to good catches in the neighbours orchard.
- Redpoll - 196 (3) down from 2nd but a disappointing number of recaps.
- Tui - 64 (42) a big jump up from 13th, also a good number of recaptures.
- Chaffinch - 55 (23) down fro 4 with a significant drop in numbers.
- Blackbird - 55 (48) down from 5th.
- Dunnock - 52 (40) also down one position.
- Bellbird - 35 (41) a jump up from 12th with a significant increase in numbers, especially in recaps.
- Yellowhammer - 31 (9) up from 11th.
- Greenfinch - 25 (1) down from 8th
- Song Thrush 16 (4) down from 7 with a significant drop in numbers.
- Goldfinch - 14 (2) down from 9.
- Starling - 9 (2) a drop in rank from 10 and in numbers.
- Californian Quail - 3 (0) first birds caught.
- Fantail - 2 (0) should be ably to catch more but they are tricky little birds.
- Grey Warbler - 2 (0) very much a bycatch.
- Kingfisher - none caught and very few about. They arrived late winter and then left with none staying to breed. In the previous year there were about 4-5 pairs breeding in the area.