Friday 1 July 2022

Cashmere Rd 30 June - Nearly did the Ton

 We had a very successful session at the Cashmere Rd site yesterday morning (Thursday 30 June). Except for the fact that I made the decision to knock off a little earlier than usual we would have caught over 100 birds. As it was when I added up when I got home we had caught 95 with 94 new and only 1 recapture. A bit surprising to only get the 1 recap as we banded over 120 at this site last year, which was our first year there.

There was very little variety in the catch with, as expected, by far the majority being Silvereyes with 84 new and the sole recap. The other birds were 7 Greenfinch and 4 House Sparrows. Next session I might look at putting a net up away from the hordes of Silvereye to try and catch a bit more variety.

Steph banding her first Greenfinch

Laura & Steph busy at the banding station.

Three of the Silvereye had foot problems, 1 had a Pox lesion and 2 had what I call Scaly foot. I am not sure what causes this but it probably a mite infestation.

The worst case of "Scaly Foot"

If anyone knows what this problem is please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment