Friday 4 January 2019

Queenstown - the last few days

We are now back in Christchurch after a week or so in Queenstown. I managed to get a couple of sessions in before we left.

I spent a couple of hours at the Stream at the bottom of the property one afternoon. The main purpose was to organize a new net line and clear the old ones. There has been a lot change in the last few months with snow bringing down a tree and a lot of branches etc. Managed to catch 4 bandable birds, a Greenfinch, a Goldfinch, a Chaffinch and a House Sparrow. The big surprise was to get a Grey Teal in a net, a first for me in 40+ years. Unfortunately unable to band it as my permit does not include Waterfowl.
The Goldfinch, judged to be a 2 M

The surprise bird a Grey Teal.

The other session was up near the house and was reasonably successful with 41 birds of 5 species with 32 new and 9 recaps.

Species caught were - (recaps in brackets)
Blackbird - 1 (0)
Song Thrush - 1 (0)
Dunnock - 3 (0) All juveniles, probably from the same brood.
Chaffinch - 0 (2) included was the oldest Chaffinch recaptured at this site.
House Sparrow - 27 (7) as well I let a lot of newly fledged birds go unbanded, especially when I got busy or had a call of "Coffee" from the house.
I was surprised to find a number of Juvenile Sparrows had already started primary moult.

No comments:

Post a Comment