Sunday 8 November 2015

Queenstown - the first few days

I have been at my son's property just out of Queenstown for the last few days and have managed to get some banding done on most days. There has been a change in the local bird population since I was down in September. Silvereye have all but gone and Blackbird and Song Thrush appear to be much reduced in numbers. On the other hand Redpoll are now numerous, buzzing about all over the place with some even managing to buzz into a net. Have caught 81 birds of 11 species with 53 new and 28 recaps.
Species caught are - (recaps in brackets)
Blackbird - 11 (7)
Song Thrush - 3 (4)
Dunnock  - 4 (2)
Chaffinch - 3 (9) at one point I had 5 recaps and no new birds, was wondering if the whole population was banded.
Greenfinch - 1 (0)
Redpoll - 13 (1) the recap was possible the first Redpoll I have ever recaptured even if it was only 1 day.
Most of the male Redpolls are looking very dapper

This female Redpoll could be better described as a Orangepoll?

Yellowhammer - 2 (0)
Starling - 4 (1)
Kingfisher - 1 (0)
The first Kingfisher caught at this site.
I have also caught a couple of Californian Quail but unfortunately I am not permitted to band them. They are classified as Game birds and can only be banded by Fish & Game or with their permission. As the Otago F & G haven't got a current permit they were unable to give me the required authorisation.

One of the Quail - A handsome male.



No comments:

Post a Comment